Sleep Deprivation

Sandoval, Luis, Reporter

How Much Do You Sleep? Probably Not Enough…

Sleep is something we all hold dearly, but something most of us don’t get, and that is a problem. Whether it is from doing late night homework, coming home late, or even just staying up on your phone, we can all relate to having less sleep than we need. You probably don’t even think of the long term or short term effects of not sleeping. There are multiple reasons and examples of what any amount of sleep deprivation does to you.

Being sleepy isn’t the only thing affecting you when you don’t have a good night’s sleep. Being asleep is the one time that your body can go clear your system and repair itself. You not sleeping could dull your senses and affect your attention span. Your emotions will also be all over the place. Teens not receiving good sleep are reported to not work well with others and can have drastic mood swings, feeling sad or depressed. If you’re not careful with your sleep it may even affect grades.

When your body repairs itself, it affects a number of things. Not sleeping is linked to heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, stroke, and diabetes. Believe it or not, it is even linked to obesity, where with less sleep each hour, obesity increases.

If you care about growing more, consider sleep. Sleep promotes a hormone that boosts normal growth in teens and children. The same hormone also repairs muscle and cells, playing an important role in puberty as well as exercise.

Sleep deficiency also weakens your immune system, making you vulnerable to any diseases.

Not sleeping affects your basic activities, one being driving. What’s even worse is that driving sleep deprived can be worse than drunk driving. There is an estimated 100,000 car accidents a year regarding sleepiness. Of those 100,000 incidents, around 1,500 deaths are caused. Your reaction time slows, and you have trouble making decisions while sleepy. 

So, how much sleep should you, as a student, receive? For you specifically, you should receive at least 8 hours to 10 hours of sleep to fully operate. Losing a few hours here and there is not smart either. The amount of not sleeping builds up. For example, losing 2 hours of sleep every night can lead to losing a total of 14 hours of sleep at the end of the week you have to make up. Naps seem like a way to make up for sleep, but they don’t. It may make you temperably awake and alert, but it does give you the same benefits as a long term rest.

Sleeping is something very important you should take into account when planning out your work and day. Don’t ever try to take time out from it, because it is more important than just one assignment that gives you minimal points. Don’t leave your school work for last minute, and stay on top of your activities. Sleep deprivation can make you perform worse and give you life threatening conditions in the future. Please take sleep seriously.

Citations

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/sleep-deprivation-and-deficiency

https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/features/important-sleep-habits#1