10 Best Gifts for Secret Santa (Student Edition)

Sparks, Hailey, Guest News Reporter

It’s that time of the year again. The time of tidings and good cheer, lights and homemade cookies. It’s also the time of the year to trade presents with those you love. This is a very popular tradition called “Secret Santa” that has been going on for years and years. Larry Dean Stewart is thought of as the original Secret Santa, as he had been donating hundreds of dollars to the people of Kansas for over 25 years. He then went on to donate $25,000 to the people in New York after the 9/11 attack. In 2006, Stewart finally came out and told everyone he was the Secret Santa. After that, everyone else started joining in on the fun and donating with him and this began the tradition we know and love today.

There are many variations of this game played in different countries, and many different names that come along with it (Secret Santa in the US, Kris Kringle in the UK, Kris Kindle in Ireland, and Wichteln in Germany)

TOP 10 GIFT IDEAS:

1: PICTURE FRAME/ PHOTO ALBUM

You can never go wrong with a picture frame or photo album. Giving someone a photo or memory of the two of you is a great gift, and something they could cherish forever.

2: FAVORITE BOOK OR MOVIE

Getting their favorite book or movie set can show that you listen to them and pay attention to what their interests are. If they’ve already watched the movie, then you should get them the book and vise versa.

3: FACE MASK/ SKIN TREATMENT

Skin care is very important, so some might appreciate face masks or DIY skin care treatment. You could also add bath bombs, candles and other items to make it more relaxing and rejuvenating.

4: WALL DECOR

Cleaning and redecorating your room is like a way of decluttering your life. It gives your room a whole new look and can be a good gift around the holidays.

5: ITEM FROM FAVORITE SPORTS TEAM

For the people who get REALLY into sports, this is for you. Souvenirs or small novelty items from sports stores could be given as gifts. Also sports jerseys, and items from the game (baseball, soccerball, glove, bat, etc.)

6: BAKING

Homemade things are a great way to show your appreciation for a person. It shows you are dedicated and put hard work into your gift. This is always a better alternative to store bought items. Plus, who doesn’t love food?

7: DIY ITEMS

DIY items like hot chocolate in a jar, open when letters, or 365 reasons I love you jar are great things to make for this time of year. Although it may not be great for last minute presents, they are still good gifts and are very easy to make.

8: JEWELRY

If this is your best friend, you could always get a best friend necklace/ ring(above), but if this is just a friend you can just get a nice necklace or bracelet. Either way, you can never go wrong with jewelry(as long as it’s in your price range) This goes for guys too, they wear chains and rings as well as other jewelry so you can always buy them some too!

9: CANDY

Cheap, easy, last minute present. Get the person’s favorite candies and maybe even put it into a bag and color code it with a few other items.

10: COSMETICS AND BODY PRODUCTS

Lotions, perfumes, body scrubs, makeup, you name it. There are so many products out there and everyone uses something! Just find what your person likes/ uses and you’re golden.